Insomnia Treatment Market Faces Steep Decline to 2016, but New Drugs Will Aid Recovery
Monday, 08 August, 2016
Insomnia drug sales will fall rapidly from $2.1 billion in 2013 to $1.4 billion by 2016, before steadily recovering to $1.8 billion by 2023, driven by the launch of two products, Merck & Co.'s Belsomra and Eisai's E-2006, and an increase in the prevalent cases of insomnia.
The sharp initial decline, which will occur across seven major markets, namely the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, and Japan, will be primarily due to the generic erosion of Sunovion/Dainippon Sumitomo's Lunesta (eszopiclone) in the US. This will impact the global market, as the US had a substantial 71.4% share in 2013.
Key Questions Answered in this Report:
- The insomnia market is dominated by the generic nonbenzodiazepines and low-does sedating antidepressants. Novel products have not had a significant impact on this market as they lack notable clinical advantages over the current first-line drugs. What are the unmet needs in light of this? Will there be opportunities in this market for drug developers throughout the forecast period?
- The current late stage insomnia pipeline is sparse with only one drug having advanced to Phase III. However, it is believed that two orexin receptor antagonists will enter the market during the forecast period. What impact will these drugs have on the market? How will they affect the treatment algorithm for insomnia? Will these drugs fulfil any of the unmet needs for insomnia?
- Population aging is occurring in almost all countries worldwide, particularly in the 7MM. This is expected to have a significant impact on the prevalence of insomnia. How will epidemiological changes impact the growth of the future insomnia market?
Reasons to Buy:
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global insomnia therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global insomnia therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global insomnia therapeutics market from 2013-2023.
Share This Post: